Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"A Volcano of Oil"

I watched the speech our President gave last night on the continuing BP oil gusher nightmare. Though he tried to present the crisis in the best light, I noticed there was a fidgety unease in his demeanor. I think the prez is sitting on something. Just between you and me, I think he should have given us the worst case scenario.

"But, they got it under control, right? He said they'd be recovering 90% of oil soon!"

Well, yes, assuming nothing goes wrong.

I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong". Actually, the term "belief" is a pale and shallow descriptor of my conviction in this statement. This goes beyond fact, beyond faith. This is a universal physical principle.

And so, in light of reading through what may be the worst possible scenario, that the well casing is well-and-truly fucked, that oil and sand mixture is rapidly eroding the parts down there like a high pressure sandblaster, that the wellhead and blowout preventer could very well pop right off and the whole monstrous flow turn into a literal volcano of oil, I think we all need to steel ourselves for this eventuality.

It could very well be that the entire oil reservoir, between 2 to 4 billion barrels of oil at minimum, could devastate the Gulf. It would be an American Chernobyl, times ten.

There's no point in planning. Just get your mind ready for it. Just in case.

Hope for the best. Expect the worst.

2 comments:

  1. I believe this will permanently change the way of life along the Gulf coast...so extremely sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear you are probably right. If they knew how to deal with it it would have been dealt with. My coast is roont.

    ReplyDelete