Sunday, October 10, 2010

So, here's the deal...

It's getting to the point where I can't remember if I've written about something or not. I think maybe I should start going through all of my essays and label them so that I can remember what I did and did not say while there is still a manageable number of them. 

Yeah. Right.

I suppose it's now only a matter of time before I go all Uncle Ed on you guys. My Uncle Ed used to tell about the same dozen stupid ass stories. And when we reminded him that we'd heard it, h'ed say "Ah, but I haven't told you the details!" And then we'd all roll our eyes at each other and pantomime firing revolvers into temples.

It also occurs to me that, for a online journal called Random Walks, I pretty much stick to one subject within the confines of an essay. I mean, it seems right about now I should go all wild ass stream of consciousness and talk about braided streams, or the color magenta, or rare earth elements or some kind of shit.

But I don't do that.

And starting now would seem so contrived and artificial.

Hey! Speaking of  contrived and artificial, I completed two wax figures and am not at all happy with them. For a time I was going to cast them in bronze, but now... I don't think so. I guess my problem with them, well, actually I have a lot of problems with them. They are too stiff and lifeless for one. And they are not particularly interesting, in either the depiction or pose. And the proportions are off and they are not particularly well rendered. The hands and feet are too small, and add to the doll-like look. This I can fix, but... I've run out of energy for them. And the scale is wrong. They are about 17" high. The scale is such that they look even more doll-like, and they look doll-like enough. I honestly don't know what to do with them. The woman is awkward, but the guy, the guy is just a dork.

Wax is hard for me to photograph so the photos themselves also suck but here you go.

The couple together:


Another view:



The woman's backside:

I have a feeling I will just make molds of them and then move on. Maybe something will suggest itself later.

I will use the man for a rigging demo in my bronze casting class where I show the students how to put the cup, sprues, runners, and vents on their wax pieces.

2 comments:

  1. All of the many reasons I don't do people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem I have with people is that I actually don't care about them. I've realized I use them more often than not as objects for a narrative. Hard to care when they are just furniture.

    ReplyDelete