Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Chinese Eat Potatoes?

Chinese Potatoes!
I recently read that China is the number one top grower of potatoes.

Potatoes? What?

Yes. It is the number one spud producing nation. Number two is Russia. Then India. Then the US of A.

And... China is not the number on exporter of potatoes. It is not even in the top ten.... which means the Chinese are eating those spuds?

What? Chinese eat potatoes? I've never heard of such a thing. I've never seen a dish in a Chinese restaurant that contains potatoes. I've never even heard of a recipe. So, to the Internet!

Google lets me know that there is a book: "How the Chinese Eat Potatoes". Well, there you go.

Braised Potato with Goose. Ooh, that sounds really good.
Cooked Potato Chips. Well, okay.
Flavored Mashed Potatoes. With minced green onions. I'm there.
Fried Lichen and Potato Chips. See, finally something that sounds like a Chinese recipe.
Fried Potato with Jellyfish Now we are talkin'.


Honestly, I, I'd never have thought. And China is pinning its food security on the humble potato. Apparently it can handle drought better than rice. Go figure.

2 comments: