Friday, April 29, 2016

Disappointing Week

One of those weeks where everything you touch turns to shit.

I cast a glass piece using reverse relief. It sucked so bad I'm not even going to photograph it.

I pretty much reached the limits of spontaneity with the smash mold method. Played around a little bit with the pieces, but it's obvious you cannot do a recursion of the smash mold method without it basically looking like you put the piece into a scrap metal crusher. I'll play around with the next step of dehydrating the plaster before I break it, but it's looking like this whole project is a cul-de-sac.







Not that I can't produce interesting textural effects with this, and I do like some of the mold seams that are being produced, but the fact is that intentional manipulation can achieve the same result as an accidental approach.

I'll keep plugging at this, and maybe there is something there, but so far, just disappointment.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, it's reassuring to see other people struggling with various approaches with various degrees of success/failure. I've been playing around with some stuff that has come out just deadly and deeply disappointing. When I do something that really looks shit, I tend to curl up in a cave and hide for a while. Metaphorically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yeah it the exploration/exploitation conundrum! The "No Free Lunch" theorem says I can't best random chance. It sucks when I don't. Still, thinking back I think I had fun

      Delete